Shipping noise and its impact on the marine environment
- General overview on acoustics.
- Principles of underwater acoustics.
Quantitative assessment of noise
- Noise measurement strategies and tools.
- Models and methods for noise calculation.
Shipping noise and the marine environment
- Main sources of underwater noise in the ship.
- Effects of shipping noise on the marine environment and impact on marine life.
Control of underwater noise emission
- Mitigation measures.
- Acoustic monitoring.
Regulatory issues and protection policies
- Public awareness and the role of NG Organizations.
- Political initiatives at national and international levels.
- Andrea IVALDI;
Fincantieri S.p.A., 2hours.
Aims and intended learning outcomes
- Get rid of a widespread dichotomy, for which expertise in technical assessment of noise is often separated from the awareness on how regulations are produced to mitigate its harmful effects.
- Learn basic concepts on how a quantitative assessment of noise can be obtained using advanced numerical and experimental techniques,
- Gain familiarity with the procedures through which public institutions adopt regulatory measures to protect the marine environment from the increasing threat represented by the acoustic pollution.
Notes prepared by the lecturer.