General historical introduction + future statutory legislation.
Role of the Classification Societies, Flag Administrations, IMO, EMSA, IACS.
General Fire Safety including overview of fire phenomena.
- Structural Fire Protection including SRtP aspects (Safe Areas and Numbering of Space) and Dangerous Goods
- Elements: specifically Windows and doors
- Allowable Fire Volume Calculations including certification
Aims and intended learning outcomes
- Understanding of the technical terminology.
- Understanding of the fire safety objectives and functional requirements to meet them.
- Understanding of the approval process for statutory F & S matters (role of the Classification Society and the Flag Administration).
- Familiarity with reference document: SOLAS Ch. II-2 Regs, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 11 and 19 (systems and equipment covered, applicability) plus corresponding requirements in MCA LY3 and PYC.
- Familiarity of additional reference codes including FSS, FTP and LSA.
- SOLAS 1974 (as amended).
- Fire Safety System (FSS) Code.
- Fire Testing Procedure (FTP) Code.
- Life-Saving Appliances (LSA) Code.
- MCA LY3.
- MCA PYC.